Do you suffer from frequent or chronic headaches and facial pain that seem to have no cure?
Did you know that headaches and facial pain are often related to problems originating in or involving the teeth, jaws and the joints of the jaw? At Bay Dental and Orthodontics we can locate the origin of your pain in at your first appointment and tailor your treatment accordingly.
One of the common conditions that we often treat is referred to as Temporo-Mandibular Disorders (TMD), or Myo-Facial Pain Disorder Syndrome (MPDS). TMD presents with numerous signs and symptoms, which can include the following:
- Facial pain
- Jaw joint (TMJ) pain
- Back and neck pain
- Postural problems
- Pain in the joints or face when opening or closing the mouth, yawning, or chewing
- Tension headaches
- Pain in the muscles surrounding the temporomandibular joints and in front of the ears
- Pain behind the eyes
- A bite that feels uncomfortable, or as if it is continually changing
- Clenching or grinding of the teeth, at night or during the day
- Tender sensitive teeth
- A limited opening capability or inability to open the mouth comfortably
- Deviation of the jaw to one side
- The jaw locking open or closed
- Ringing in the ears and ear pain
The treatment of TMD usually involves a combination of dental treatment, physiotherapy, medications, and exercises to relax the muscles.